How do you pronoun “knee?” : /kni:? or /ni: ??????
If you choose the first option, you are much influenced by Javanese. There is “/kni:/ that refers to a pipe joint.
Yes, you are supposed to choose the second option. Why? The letter “k” in “knee” is classified as a “silent letter” meaning that it is there(written) but it is not pronounced….
Here are other silent letters:
- what, when, why, which, whether, ghost, honest, hour, while, white, where, rhythm
- witch, fasten, castle, watch, butcher, scratch, listen, match, Christmas, mortgage, soften, often
- knife, knee, knot, knitting, know, knob, knock, knickers, knuckle, knight, knack, knew
- lamb, thumb, numb, crumb, climbing, bomb, comb, doubt, plumber, limb, debt, tomb
- hymn, column
- Wednesday, handsome, handkerchief, badge, wedge
- sign, resign, foreigner
- guitar, guard, building, guilty, rogue, vogue, biscuit, tongue
- almond, palm, yolk, calm, salmon, calf, half, chalk, walk, folk
- wren, wrote, wrestling, wriggle, wrinkle, sword, whole, wreck, two, wrap, wrong, wrist, writing